January 9, 2010

PLO Brag

I played a PRO hand that I felt was rather brag worthy. In PLO, given the fact that equities run SO effing tight...the nature of the game provides "gamblers" an artificial edge given the fact that they are willing to stick their money in light. Its pretty rare to ever be a HUGE dog pre or postfrop as it is in NLHE...yer often going to be in a bunch of 60/40s...on one side of the other, and provided you can run well...you'll prolly have the illusion that you are gods given to PRO.

AnyWHO...provided you can get yourself on the CORRECT side of those 60/40s...you will be printing money, provided you don't get raped by the RNG. Now I don't craim to be an expert/winner at PLO by any means...but I'm going to review a HH below and provide some analysis on a hand which I thought was particularly interesting. Given that equities run so tight...it's pretty very difficurt to play a hand optimally.

*************************************************************

Full Tilt Poker $2/$4 Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 6 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/466160

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: $715.00 BTN: $400.00 SB: $275.00 Hero (BB): $599.20 UTG: $551.40 MP: $80.00

Pre Flop: ($6.00) Hero is BB with Qd 9h Kh Kc

1 fold, MP calls $4, CO calls $4, BTN raises to $22, 1 fold, Hero requests TIME, Hero raises to $76, 2 folds, BTN calls $54

Flop: ($162.00) 6c 7d 3d (2 players)

Hero checks, BTN bets $88, Hero requests TIME, Hero calls $88
Turn: ($338.00) Js (2 players)

Hero bets $338, BTN calls $236 all in

River: ($810.00) 7s (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $810.00

BTN shows 8s Kd 9d Th (a pair of Sevens) Hero shows Qd 9h Kh Kc (two pair, Kings and Sevens) Hero wins $807.00
(Rake: $3.00)

*************************************************************

Pre - virrain is SUPER tag...as in nitty unlike Tiffany's mom's vag. Rike 19/15 in PLO...I honestly can NOT believe that styre can be profitabre in PLO...given that IMO its far too tight for a 6M NLHE game. W/E. I 3b the SB for value and get fratted - the key thing to take way from this frat is that his range now does NOT included AAxx. Also, I don't think his 3b calling range will include many pairs...unless they are of the well connected double paired variety. I expect him to pitch junk like AK99 (which he may actually open fold anyway). Frop - There is one three letter phrase that comes to my mind when this comes down. FML. Times 100x. I instantly considered xf'ing given how GROSS this board is and that I have zero draws/backdoor draws...and that I'm almost NEVER going to get it in on this frop as a favorite. It also is BURRIED in his 3b calling range that is weighted towards sooted connectors. While debating the xf option...I just go ahead and check and evaluate. Sorta ghey, but I'm out of position with a naked overpair (full stax vs a competent player) and literally want to jump off a bridge. Virrain goes ahead and bets a rather ghey amount...VERY enticing for a xrai, but I opt for a variation of the patented Bruechips Fade and Go. My plan is xc, shove ANY non diamond that does not complete 89 on the turn. Granted its a HUGE chunk of the deck...but I felt that given his range, it was a better play than to bet fold, bet call, or xf. Turn -BINKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. J of spades...an excellent card for me. Ipot donk it into him and booya, he calls it off as he should with a big timey wrap with a FD which I'm able to fade on the river. Villain was prolly thinking (HOW THE F DO I NOT BINK FTW?!?!?!) instead of realizing that he got ooooooowwwwwnnnnddddd! For all you math geeks out there - here are the equities street by street.

PREF - 69/31 FROP - 34/66 TURN - 58/43

Ship it.

-BRACKCHIPS

3 comments:

noldmax said...

Brackchips,

I certainly love finding some PLO hand analysis here - keep it coming!

I tend to get devoured when I 3-bet out of the blinds since there are so many gross flops (like this one) and the player in position has so many more options/weapons at his disposal. So kudos for pulling this one off.

One question: How does your villain's bet-sizing influence your ability to pull of the fade-n-go? IMO, part of the benefit of this line is that you have some FE against naked diamond draws, if you villain is competent enough to realize that a FD alone is not getting odds to call your shove.

So, if villain instead pots it on the flop and you call, you are suddenly looking at a monster pot (~$500) and a villain with only ~$150 behind, meaning that he may have to call your shove on the turn with something as weak as 1 pair or a naked FD. This of course is not necessarily bad, but having FE means you might take the pot uncontested, which is a great outcome in a monster pot.

Is this a consideration here? Are you check-folding the flop to anything bigger than a 1/2 pot bet?

spritpot said...

Noldmax - you bring up a good point about the bet sizing. At the time I felt like he was intentionally trying to bet a tad on the smaller side to sort of induce something spaztastic like a xrai. I did not think he was going to be folding at ANY point in the hand given the stax sizes.

As far as having FE - I can tell that in 3b pots...you should not expect to get too many folds once you have other people putting money in the pot. Equities run so close in PLO and folding…it goes goes against the nature game :) (so all you NLHE donkeys who can’t find folds…come over and play some PLO!)

Here’s a good example. If you something like a gutter, bottom pair and a backdoor flush door and are up against dry aces – yer FLIPPING!

board: Js8c3d
Hand Pot equity Wins Ties
aa22 50.76% 304,589 0
q39d5d 49.24% 295,411 0

I’m not sure if I call if he pots – because once the pot is so big I may just end up sticking it and chalking it up to a FML if a bad card comes. It is difficult having the discipline to completely stick with a read throughout the duration of a hand and as the hand progresses, certain things can influence to make bad decisions. Yer tilted, the guy is a donk, a bad card comes off, the pot is already so big, etc. This happens quite a bit to me in PLO when I’m playing someone with a awkward stacksize (30-70bbs). An example is when flopping an set...and an obvious straight card comes on the turn. Some of the time I should be folding – but I never really do the math…I just rely on filling up :)

More PLO hands to come...

Bayne_S said...

Nice hand.

I hate the flop with your hand and unless I have any past history with villain I am likely to check fold.

The 1/2 pot bet usually does mean big hand or big draw, and 45 on that flop is not a big hand unless he has redraw of some kind.