September 10, 2008

Overcalls....

Usually when a player cold calls a raise he has a very strong hand. Here's a hand where I went with that read...I'm not sure what exactly is the correct play here...shoving the flop can't be terrible...calling the turn would maybe be terrible, I'm not totally sure. The villains in this hand are your standard 30/10 low stakes fish.



Seat 1: bruechips ($104.55)

Seat 2: MP ($59.10)

Seat 3: CO

Seat 5: SB ($77.65)

Seat 6: BB ($140.80)

CO posts $0.50



*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to bruechips [Ac As]

bruechips raises to $2.50

MP calls $2.50

CO folds

SB calls $2.25

BB calls $2



*** FLOP *** [6s Ts 4s]

SB checks

BB checks

bruechips bets $8.50 (My hand is good enough that I want to start getting money in the pot, especially since MP was a total station and would certainly be peeling with, say, JT or even hands as weak as 87o with one spade.)

MP folds

SB raises to $24 (When I saw this guy raise, my thinking was that he was probably pretty strong since it's a multiway pot and he has to make a big bet in order to bluff. I also doubt he would bluff with absolute air. He would probably call with a T. I have the As, so he's not bluffing with that. But my hand is way too strong to fold, obviously. If the BB folded, I would have either re-raised and gotten in or called and shoved any turn.)

BB calls $24 (Then this happens. WTF. If I didn't have the ace of spades, I MIGHT consider the possibility that he were peeling with just the ace of spades, maybe a T or 6 to go along with it. But since I have the ace of spades, I think he's got a flush or a set pretty much every time. Given that I've got at most 35% equity vs. his hand and he's never folding, I don't see any reason to shove, especially since there's still the chance that the SB either has me beat as well or is holding one of my outs (a big spade). But I'm getting very nice odds to call, so that's what I did.)

bruechips calls $15.50



*** TURN *** [6s Ts 4s] [6c]

SB bets $35

BB raises to $114.30, and is all in

bruechips folds (Now it's even clearer that I'm drawing to somewhere between 2 and 9 outs, so I have to fold with only one card to come.)



I think most players would just get it all in on the flop and consider it a cooler if the other guy has a flush or a set and AA doesn't improve...and that might be clearly the best play against players that can make huge bluffs, but against almost every player $1/$2 and below, I think this is the better way to play the 3-way.

-BRUECHIPS

3 comments:

Gnome said...

If you can be pretty confident that both players will call, maybe you should go all-in with your 35 percent equity. But I guess in reality, it's hard to assume that both will call.
I don't see the point of the BB's overcall. If I were in his shoes, I'd be raising with my sets and most of my flopped flushes.

spritpot said...

The problem is that 35% is pretty much the upper bound on my equity in a heads up pot. If it does end up being multi-way - i.e., I shove and both the blinds call - pretty much the BEST case scenario I can think of is being up against a set and KcKs. In that case I have 33% equity. If I'm up against a set and a made flush, my equity is 24%. As it turns out, the SB had KcKs (not sure why he didn't re-raise preflop...that ended up costing me the pot) and the BB had Qs8s for a flopped flush. The SB called off his remaining few dollars to the raise and caught another spade on the river. So the river would have given me the pot, but I would have gotten it in with way the worst of it if I had called the turn.

If I had shoved the flop, obviously the BB calls...not sure if the SB finds a fold with KcKs or not. But that kind of highlights the other issue, which is that I'm deeper with the BB than with the SB, and the overcall represents a stronger range than the check-raise, so I'd be a bigger dog for the side pot than for the main.

spritpot said...

To finish up one point - while 33% is pretty much the upper bound on my equity if all the money goes in 3-way on the flop, 24% is I think the lower bound. So as I said, shoving the flop can't be terrible, especially since there's a fair amount of overlay in the pot...10 or so from the preflop action plus about 25 from my bet and the two calls/raises that's already in there. With no fold equity (I can't imagine either of these players being nitty enough to give me enough credit for a big flush that they'd fold either a set or a small flush), shoving is probably slightly worse than calling and trying to hit the river...but it's close.