September 29, 2008

THIN! (Part 10)

Ok so as I'm sure you may know...we here at spritpot have a lil obsession with getting THIN value on hands.  The concept is simple and straight forward, but we enjoy getting thin value like a fat kid loves cake.  

The hand below defintely ranks up there in my all time favorites...sit back and enjoy!



Did you catch that?  9 high called by 4 high, ROR!  Granted my 67% equity did not hold...but whatever...let's try not to be results oriented.  Its hands like these that fuel your addiction for the game, it makes you keep coming back for more!  

Let me walk you through my thought process on this on the hand...

Prefrop - ok 89o UTG+1 is a BIT loose (TAG is not exactly in my vocab when it comes to my playing style)...but the table was INFESTED with shortstackers behind me, and I knew they would be giving my raise some respect based on my position.  

Frop - 1 caller...from the brinds, super.  Love me some HU pots in position...I'm looking to either outfrop him, or manipulate him based on having position.  He makes a SUPER weak donk bet.  My thoughts were - a) this dude does NOT have a King.  b) there are a ton of draws on the board which he might be donking with.  Flush draws, 34, 78.  c) this could be one of those situations where he is just bet folding something like 6x, 5x, or 77-88.  

I opt to SHIPITIN, I can credibly rep a King based on my pre/frop pray in hopes of getting a decent range of his hands to fold.  Villain tanks for a while and finally calls.  

I don't think I really need to go into how BAD his play, ROR.  Despite not having a pair or a FD, I had the WORST possible hand vs his hand...half of his OESD outs are giving me the nut straight!  This definitely highlights the concept of reverse impried odds (as recently mentioned by Bart Hanson on Cash Plays).  In this instance...he had the WOST POSSIBLE draw on the board - not only is there a FD which could arso nurify some of his straight draw outs, but his straight draw is NOT to the nuts.  His thoughts were probably - "I have 8 outs to make the best hand."  Well if I had a naked FD - then its only 6, and if I have a super sweet combo draw 78cc or 89cc then he is drawing even thinner.

I really wish the board woulda entirely bricked off for both of us...don't think I've ever seen a HH with two arr ins that says "x wins $y with 8 high" ROR.  

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Why not raise to $90 on flop then ship the turn to give him another chance to fold?