October 7, 2008

I got a fever...

...and the only cure is: MORE DONK-N-GOs!!!! A number of factors have conspired recently to curb my cash game habit: 1) I moved into a new apartment, which is awesome and a huge upgrade, but I put my desktop in my bedroom as opposed to the common room b/c it's a two-bedroom place. This means I can't watch TV and play at the same time. While I never actually paid that much attention to the TV while playing, somehow it seems difficult to go into a different room and commit to not watching, for instance, playoff baseball. 2) School started back up again, meaning I have to spend a bunch of time and energy on that, especially since I did absolutely zero towards any research over the summer. 3) I know this sounds weird and ghey, but for some reason, after I got my bankroll to a certain level and had a certain win rate in cash games, I felt like I had proved to myself that I was a pretty good player and just didn't want to risk either the money or that self-image. It's a lame reason for not playing and I will get over it, but it has definitely been a factor.

Anyway, playing small stakes donk-n-gos solves all these problems. I can easily play on my laptop while watching some baseball. It's totally stress free and I can literally play 4-5 at a time and not have to pay very much attention. The players are just so weak it's ridiculous. I also enjoy getting bad beated and berating donkeys for their play. I really do take a sick pleasure in it. Their idiot responses ("thought you were bluffing", "just wanted to see the next card", etc.) only add fuel to the flame of righteous indignation every time I lose to J4o or 92s. Of course, the hourly rate I'm getting to play them is less than I'd get grinding 1/2 FR. But with my ROI well over 30%, it's decent money to shovel in while I'm really spending 75% of my attention watching baseball.

Sometimes if I want to get a little crazier I'll throw in some HU DNGs as well. Just so this post doesn't go without a HH, here's one in which I got some pretty thin value FTW in this HU DNG:

Seat 1: bruechips (2,270)
Seat 2: SB/Button (730)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [3d Ad]
Virrain raises to 60
bruechips calls 40 (A little loose. Stack sizes are a bit inconvenient. Calling, shoving, and folding are all pretty close IMHO.)

*** FLOP *** [Qd Qh 4s]
bruechips checks
Virrain bets 90
bruechips calls 90 (A-high is the nuts on a paired board)

*** TURN *** [Qd Qh 4s] [2h] (Best card in the deck for me)
bruechips checks
Virrain bets 200 (Please don't raise me!!!)
bruechips raises to 900
Virrain calls 380, and is all in (Fawk...well I guess I've gotta call)
Virrain shows [Js Kc] (pwnd)

*** RIVER *** [Qd Qh 4s 2h] [Ac]
bruechips wins the pot (1,460) with two pair, Aces and Queens
bruechips: gg

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: