October 19, 2008

Brack Is Beautifur (Part 10)

For those of you looking forward to further analysis of The Shortstack Game, don't worry, that will come tomorrow. But I just had to post this first, especially because of the side action I had with Brackchips, who was watching me pray this hand. This was down to two tables of a DNG that started with 5 tables.

Seat 1: MP (600)
Seat 7: bruechips (BB) (5,860)
Seat 8: UTG (13,765)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [Qs Js]
UTG raises to 480
MP raises to 600, and is all in
bruechips calls 360 (This call is a little bit loose, but I did it for two reasons: 1) UTG was a megadonk, and I wanted to play hands with him, even OOP, and 2) MP was a shorty, and his less-than-min re-raise all-in meant that UTG couldn't re-raise, and I might get to check down and see the whole board for free.)
UTG calls 120

*** FLOP *** [5s Ks As] (Spades are gold)
bruechips checks
UTG bets 1,920
bruechips calls 1,920 (Looking back, maybe I should be raising this instead since UTG was a total station and his bet into the dry side pot indicates he has at least a pair and therefore would probably call if I shoved, whereas he might get scared if another spade rolls off on the turn.)

*** TURN *** [5s Ks As] [7s]
bruechips checks (Another spade...kind of kills my action...maybe he has like 8c8s and will shove all-in, but betting here would be bad as he might be able to fold some pairs.)
UTG checks

*** RIVER *** [5s Ks As 7s] [8s]
bruechips bets 3,340, and is all in (Here is the main interesting decision in the hand. The question is, is he more likely to call a shove or shove if I check? If he has a spade he MIGHT check behind but will definitely be calling if I shove. Actually this guy is such a donk, I think he's calling a shove with any two cards, thinking I'm bluffing and hoping for a split. Even though this is a bet into a side pot and I'm going to have to show down for the main anyway. So I shoved and he called. Before looking back into the 'Last Hand' tab to see what he had, I bet Brackchips $1 that he did not have a spade.)
UTG calls 3,340

*** SHOW DOWN ***
bruechips shows [Qs Js] a flush, Ace high
UTG mucked [Tc Ac] - a flush, Ace high (PWND!!! Ship the pot AND the $1!!!)

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

I like the shove from a pyschology standpoint. It looks like a desparate attempt to steal the pot. A one-half your stack bet is scarier and less likely to be work.