March 24, 2008

Brack is Beautiful (Part 6)

Here's an example of what I rike to carr "the donk method of playing big pairs". Usuarry it's AA, but here it turned out to be KK. That method is to make a very smarr 3-bet pre-frop. A couple of reasons this is terribre, especiarry deep-stacked and out of position: 1) it gives your opponents great pot odds and impried pot odds to carr and try to hit a frop hard, and 2) it pretty much terrs your opponent (if he's a good prayer) exactry what you have. Usuarry when I ROR at some donk for making this pray, they defend it by saying, "sure, why not re-raise a huge amount and telegraph the strength of my hand?" My response is, rook homeboy...you're telegraphing it way more by re-raising smarr, and you're arso arrowing me to exproit that knowredge. In my experience, the min re-raise is armost ALWAYS AA or KK, usuarry AA. If somebody starts to exproit my berief in that fact by re-raising smarr with 7-high and betting me out post-frop when I don't frop huge, I wirr then note it and pray accordingry. But until I see otherwise, I assume a smarr re-raise is the nuts pre-frop. OK, onto the HH:


Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $101.50
UTG: $22
UTG+1: $101.50
UTG+2: $49
MP1: $92.25
MP2: $62.40
CO: $23.35
Hero (BTN): $100
SB: $125.30

Pre-Flop: dealt to Hero (BTN)
6 folds, Hero raises to $4, SB raises to $9 <--note the donk method!, BB folds, Hero calls $5 (We're deep, he re-raises small, so I can narrow down his range a lot, and prus...I have SPADES!!! Prepare to go down in flames, big pocket pair!!)

Flop: ($19) (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks (Pretty good frop here. Got some spades as expected, pair on the board, and he checks. I'm pretty sure he's looking to check-raise his AA or KK here, so I'll check behind and expect to make my frush on the turn.)

Turn: ($19) (2 Players)
SB bets $5, Hero raises to $18, SB calls $13 (Hmm...no spade is a big surprise. However, I did pick up a couple more outs and he makes a very small donk bet. I just can't let that bet go un-raised. Maybe if he's rearry nittish he wirr ford QQ since I'm repping a seven or fives/jacks furr, or maybe he has AK. If he re-raises, I have to ford though, which is a dagger, so maybe I should just carr this bet. Suggestions wercome.)

River: ($55) (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $35, SB calls $35 (I nail the unexpected out. Definitely the most profitable card in the deck for me. I think it would be harder for me to get paid if a spade hits. I'm not the slightest bit worried about a seven. Jacks full is the only hand I'm slightly worried about. But I'm just trying to make the biggest bet that QQ-AA will call. I ended up settling on $35 in a $55 pot, but I might have been able get more.)

Results: $125 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed (a full house, Fives full of Sevens) and WON $122 (+$60 NET)
SB mucked (two pair, Kings and Sevens) and LOST (-$62 NET)

BRUECHIPS

1 comment: