September 16, 2009

Turn OBFV

It's been a middling run at the tables for me recently but every once in a while I still play a hand well. I think this was one of them:


Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/285085
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $120.05
SB: $198.05
Hero (BB): $113.00
UTG: $178.65
UTG+1: $68.55
UTG+2: $135.75
MP1: $20.30
MP2: $49.00
CO: $37.85

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is BB with 5h 4h
4 folds, MP2 calls $1, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($2.50) 3h Th Kh (2 players)
Hero bets $2.50, MP2 calls $2.50 (Frop a frush...red cards though. Generally I like to lead in these spots because it's hard to get much value out of a check/raise, often it gets checked through, and since it's a limped pot, I have to start building it now to get his stack. Also if another heart comes my hand kinda sucks.)

Turn: ($7.50) Jd (2 players)
Hero bets $14, MP2 calls $14 (Here's the interesting decision. With the Jd on the turn, I think his calling range is very inelastic to my bet size. That is, if he's gonna call, it doesn't matter what I bet. And there are a lot of hands that he's gonna not want to fold, like any Ah, any Qh, KQ, QJ, JT, etc....so a big bet gets called just as often as a small bet, and it sets up a pot-sized river shove.)

River: ($35.50) 9d (2 players)
Hero bets $35.50, MP2 calls $31.50 all in (BOOM goes the dynamite!)

Final Pot: $98.50
Hero shows 5h 4h (a flush, King high)
MP2 mucks Qs Ks (Huge suckout by me, obv...he had SPADES!!!)
Hero wins $95.50
(Rake: $3.00)

-BRUECHIPS

8 comments:

The Poker Meister said...

Brue-

This guy is calling down all three streets WITHOUT a heart. He has to figure, based on your action (and your turn OBFV) that you have to have AT LEAST 2 pair or a set, and POTENTIALLY a heart. He knows that he doesn't have a heart.

Look - I get the flop call from him - TPGK and backdoor straight draw. But the turn call? $14 to win $21.50? Are you kidding me? This guy's a donkey. Even with a heart in his hand - the Queen, for example, he's drawing on 9 outs plus the straight draw of 8 outs gives him 34% equity on a 65% call. Not smart... not smart at all...

I hope he reloaded and you were able to stack him all night. It's players like this who feed our bankrolls.

The Poker Meister said...

And BTW, nice turn bet! Without that bet, it would have been near impossible for you to get it all in on the river, unless he is sure his rivered straight is good.

Memphis MOJO said...

I think his calling range is very inelastic to my bet size.>

The remark above is something I hadn't thought much about. Good concept, and something I need to think more about.

Fuel55 said...

i agree with the inelastic thinking - a one pair fish is a one pair fish.

still can figure how you fawked spades with lowly hearts?

Lucypher said...

Who draws to a str8t when there is an obvious potential flush already out there? That increasingly rare creature, the donk-fish.

The Poker Meister said...

@Lucypher

You're not calling the flop bet? You're folding a BB pot bet from a limped pot with Top pair good kicker?

The rest of the hand is plain stupid. He can't call $14 into $7.50. He shouldn't call $5 into $7.50. Isn't there a saying about not going broke on a limped pot? Guess he never heard that...

spritpot said...

Hearts over spades is definitely the biggest shocker of the hand.

Lucypher said...

@ PokerMeister: No. I don't but I also don't limp in with K-Qs.
On flop, I would either raise to better determine where I am at (and for value if ahead) or fold. If I raise and the opponent re-raises I am confident he has a flush.