October 19, 2009

Art of the Min Raise (Part 17)

Gotta rove the tasty pot odds:


Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Hold'em - 4 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/330499
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $88.80
Hero (CO): $70.40
BTN: $33.80
SB: $52.15

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with 5h 4h
Hero raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, 2 folds (From the cutoff I'll certainly raise up just about any suited connector unless some really good player is at the table punishing me a bunch. Get called by a donkey on the button.)

Flop: ($4.25) 2h Ah 8c (2 players)
Hero bets $3, BTN calls $3 (Frop a frush draw and a gutter, standard c-bet the ace-high board.)

Turn: ($10.25) 5s (2 players)
Hero bets $6, BTN raises to $12, Hero calls $6 (Turn a pair...certainly not expecting him to fold an ace, but folding a weak eight or a pocket pair sevens and below isn't out of the question. He could also call with a bigger heart draw that doesn't have a pair, which is obviously fine. In any case he instead min-raises, which tells me that he has some kind of pretty big hand. I'd be totally shocked if he ended up with a flush draw taking this line, so I can be pretty sure that my heart outs are good, with the possible exception of the 8h. I'd expect that a 3 would give me the best hand pretty much always as well. Those 11 outs alone are enough to allow me to profitably call this min raise, calling 6 to win the 28 in the pot, plus almost certainly the remaining 17 in his stack. The 8h and the other two fives in the deck are a little dicier, but I think I'm good enough of the time that they add to the profitability of calling, even if sometimes I will get stacked. A river four and I'd probably check/fold. I'd expect to get bluffed fairly rarely, although occasionally it will go check/check and I'll have the best hand.)

River: ($34.25) Jh (2 players)
Hero bets $34.25, BTN calls $17.05 all in (Just the card I was looking for...time for a trip to valuetown!)

Final Pot: $68.35
Hero shows 5h 4h (a flush, Ace high)
BTN mucks Ac 8h
Hero wins $66.35
(Rake: $2.00)

-BRUECHIPS

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

This post got me to thinking about this (not about this hand, but in general):

On the turn would you ever min raise as a bluff to try to represent a monster (to set it up so you could bet big on the river to win the hand)? Would this have to be against a thinking player and not the usual donk?

noldmax said...

Another hypothetical... you surmise from the min-raise that your villain has a strong holding on the turn. I would assume this means something like TPTK at the worst. So what are doing here with AJo? AQo?

The obvious drawback of the min-raise is that you give great odds to opponents on draws, but if it's use is always going to be indicative of real strength, then can you also imply that you should only be calling a min-raise with a decent draw (i.e., more than 3 outs). But I think the truth is quite different - the min-raise still has a stigma as a donkish move, and even when it is interpreted a strong, it still doesn't fold out hands like TPGK. So it can be effectively used to extract value in the right spots. I don't really use it at all, but I like the idea of adding it in to get value against bad opponents.

This still leaves one real question behind - is it really more effective to make a min-raise when you can make a 2.5x or 3x raise? Are opponents making bad calls against min-raises that much more often?

A lot to consider, but I still get lost facing min-raises, so I certainly haven't figured it out.

Lucypher said...

NH, Brue.
Villain made several mistakes IMO.
#1 = flatting on the button with an Ace. #2 min bet not sufficient to protect his hand on the turn. #3 calling river when flush came in.

WillWonka said...

wasn't even spades.. who knew.