October 9, 2009

I suck almost as bad as MLB umpires

I've been trying out some 6-max recently, partly just for a change of pace, and also because there are lots of fishies there. I've had a few decent seshes, but unfortunately it did not go well at all for me tonight. Probably has something to do with me running like poo in life over the last 24 hours. Anyway my sesh had plenty of bad beats, some cooler situations, a couple bad calls, and a couple of spots where I thought somebody would fold a weak hand and they didn't. Oh well. You'll find a lot more just completely random and spewy play at 6-max than you will at full ring. I guess it's where the aggro donkeys go to have fun. For instance, there was this hand:


Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/319888
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $33.70
SB: $57.10
Hero (BB): $50.00
UTG: $67.95
CO: $43.05

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 9h As
2 folds, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2.50, BTN calls $2, 1 fold

Flop: ($5.50) Ah 3c 8h (2 players)
Hero bets $3.50, BTN raises to $7, Hero calls $3.50 (Probably not planning on folding this hand since I don't see what hand he'd limp the button with that now beats me...maybe A3 or 33 sometimes, but that's not too many hands. No reason to shove though, might as well allow him to continue to bluff if that's what he's in the mood to do.)

Turn: ($19.50) 2h (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $24.20 all in, Hero calls $24.20 (Not the best turn card, but usually people don't min raise flops with draws, so I wasn't that worried about it...plus I've got the 9h anyway which gives me some outs if he has a 7-high flush or lower, or if he does have aces up.)

River: ($67.90) 4d (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $67.90
BTN shows 9d 6s (Ace Nine high)
Hero shows 9h As (a pair of Aces)
Hero wins $64.90
(Rake: $3.00)

Anyway back to the title of the post...even in the abyss of my deepest tilt sessions, I don't think I make as many mistakes as umpires have made during the playoffs so far. How many just blatantly obvious missed calls have we had so far? There were two in the opening game of the Phillies series, both favoring the home team (runner tagging up on a fly ball, and later Cliff Lee not being called out after being picked off at second). There was one in the Sox game last night, which also favored the home team (Youkilis coming down with a throw at first base, clearly tagging the bag with the runner being out by 5 feet, called safe). There was one, probably the most egregious of all, in the Yankees/Twins game tonight when a Joe Mauer double was inexplicably called foul, again favoring the home team. Terrible. And these are just the ones I've seen. And all of them I could call immediately, in real time, watching on my TV. I'm sympathetic to the fact that it's a difficult job, and it's easy to second-guess once you've seen slow motion replays from 3 angles. But ALL of those calls were immediately obvious to anyone watching in real time, even with much a much worse view than the umps on the field had. It's enough to make you want replay available for more situations. Hopefully it won't be a continuing issue that plagues the rest of the postseason.

-BRUECHIPS

2 comments:

Gnome said...

Baseball should broadly expand replay rather than arbitrarily limit it to HR calls.

Big D said...

At least you haven't lost your sense of humour.