August 12, 2008

Art of the Min Raise (Part 12)

As this guy shows, the donk method of AA isn't reserved for just pre-flop betting. You can definitely donk it up with min betting and raising post-flop:

Seat 2: SB ($115.45)
Seat 8: CO ($100)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Qc Td]
folds to me...HERO raises to $3.50 (standard...maybe a little on the loose side, but pretty standard from the CO)
SB calls $3

*** FLOP *** [4d Ks 9h]
SB bets $1 (Donks love these min lead bets into a pre-flop raiser. I pretty much treat them as a check and bet whatever I normally would bet.)
HERO raises to $6 (This is basically like my c-bet. I would definitely be c-betting this flop. When he bets $1, I'm assuming it's a check and betting $6 as I normally would, repping AK or KQ, which I could obviously have)
SB raises to $11 (MIN re-raise on this K-high dry board. This is rarely a bluff. When you raise pre-flop, people put you on AK, since it's the most common hand to raise with. The others are AA and KK, which hit this flop hard too. So I doubt his re-raise is a bluff. It's possible he knows that I'll be raising his min donk bet often and is testing me again, but usually in this spot he will have at least KJ. So since he HAS a hand, I can call to hit my gutshot, since it's only $5 and the pot is already $20, plus we have another $85 or so behind.)
HERO calls $5

*** TURN *** [4d Ks 9h] [Kc]
SB checks
HERO checks (Bad card because now I could be drawing dead. Again going with my read that he's strong, I check here. Of course he's never folding any K or a boat, and there's some chance he might now continue with a pair below the K ,like TT or A9, since the extra K on board makes it less likely I have one. If he checks again on the river, I might fire to try and take it away.)

*** RIVER *** [4d Ks 9h Kc] [Jd]
SB bets $30
HERO calls $30 (This is kind of close between calling and raising. His calling range is probably AA, AK, KQ,KJ,KT,K9, KK, 99, 44, and JJ. I beat 26 combos and lose to 22 combos. But some of the hands I'm beating like AA and AK he only plays this way on earlier streets sometimes, whereas I think he takes this line more consistently with 99, 44, and KJ.  Also I'm not positive he'd call a shove on the river with AA...so I decided to just call.)

*** SHOW DOWN ***
SB shows [As Ad] two pair, Aces and Kings
HERO wins the pot ($87) with a straight, King high

So I called $5 on the flop to buy the turn card, got the river for free, and ending up winning back the $15 I already had in there before my flop call, plus the $48 he put in during the hand. Definitely a good return for that investment, especially since if I had gotten there on the turn, I could have won his whole stack with betting on two streets.

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: