June 1, 2009

Brack is Beautiful (Part 18)

Well, now that High Stakes Poker is over, it'll be back to your reguarly scheduled programming here at spritpot. And by that, of course I mean MORE SPADES. Let's get to the action:


CO: $42.60
Hero (BTN): $105.65
SB: $11.15
BB: $29.65
UTG: $16.55
MP: $40.75

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with Js Ts
2 folds, CO raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, SB calls $1.50, 1 fold (I had just stacked the big donkey at the table, and was going to sit out when the brinds next got to me, since there wasn't any other deep stacked donkey sitting. In any case, I didn't have much info on this guy raising in the cutoff. I decided to just call instead of 3b, happy to take a frop in position with the nut suit. I'd def 3b sometimes though.)

Flop: ($5.75) Kd Qs 3s (3 players)
SB bets $7, CO calls $7, Hero calls $7 (Amazing frop. Got the OESD and the frush draw. Given that my draw is to spades, I carcurate that my equity is ~99%. If the SB checks and the CO c-bets, I probably raise and get it in, but instead the SB, who is short, leads with an overbet, leaving himself $2.40 in his stack...if you can't tell, that guy wasn't too bright. Anyway, in this situation, there's really no point in raising. I'm going to have to showdown against the SB, and J-high isn't likely to ever be any good. Moreover, I'm going to have odds to call anything on the turn no matter what card it is, so it's not like calling instead of raising will prevent me from seeing the river. But the turn could brick and the CO could check, giving me a free river card, which would be tasty. So as ghey as it may seem with a monster draw, the correct play here is to suppress your button-mashing instincts and just call the $7.) 

Turn: ($26.75) Ad (3 players)
SB bets $2.40 all in, CO raises to $33.85 all in, Hero calls $33.85 (Bink!!! Turn the nuts and I've to two players shoving in front of me...hmm...I think I call...)

River: ($96.85) Jc (3 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $96.85
CO shows Qh Ah (two pair, Aces and Queens)
Hero shows Js Ts (a straight, Ace high)
SB shows Td Ks (a straight, Ace high)
Hero wins $61.55
SB wins $16.15
Hero wins $16.15
 

So unfortunately I got rivered for some of the pot...but I still win all of the big side pot vs. the CO. If I raise the frop, the SB calls, CO probably folds, and I just have to race with the SB for a smallish pot. But by calling the frop instead, I make much more when I do get there, and even have a shot at getting to see the river cheap.

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

noldmax said...

I would have crushed my mouse from the big-draw insta-jam buttom-mash reflex (BDIJBMR). But your analysis is right on, so nice job suppressing the urge. Please note - spades did not get there. :)