June 17, 2009

THIN! (Part 15)

First off, big congrats to Rana on scoring 10th place in the $1500 HORSE event at the WSOP. Of course I'm happy in part because I had a piece of her action, but also I'm just glad for LJ playing well and getting a nice score. Great job, LJ!


On to some thintastic value:

UTG: $35.80
UTG+1: $44.35
MP1: $57.55
MP2: $50.00
CO: $50.00
BTN: $54.05
SB: $105.05
Hero (BB): $50.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with Th Ts
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 3 folds, BTN raises to $2.50, SB calls $2.25, Hero calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2 (The UTG+1 limper is a donk of the 45/0 variety. The button I didn't have too much info on, but seemed pretty nitty in the small sample I had. 3-betting here is definitely an option, but I decided to play it safe and just call.)

Flop: ($10.00) 7s 8h 6h (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $1, BTN raises to $13, SB folds, Hero raises to $47.50 all in, UTG+1 folds, BTN calls $34.50 (Here's where the action happens. I decided from the beginning that I was going to check and make some sort of committing raise, unless it went something like UTG+1 pots and button shoves all-in. But the way the hand played out was perfect for me. I'm not really worried about UTG+1 at all - his min donk-bet is weak and retarded...if he calls, he's as likely to have A7 as 86, which I'm not that far behind anyway. The more relevant player is the button. I think this is a great place to shove because he's almost MORE likely to call me with a weaker hand than a bigger overpair. Stacking off on this board with AA-JJ would be pretty gross. Sets and T9s are just all over my range, as well as monster draws like JhTh or AhTh. But he will call off with 99, AhKh, and AhQh, all of which I beat (70% equity vs. these hands). Of course he could have a set already, but in that case I do have straight, running hearts, and higher set outs. Also, I think he'd be limping 66/77 at least some of the time instead of raising preflop. Even if you put all the sets in his range, vs. 66-99 and AhKh/AhQh, I'm only a slight dog. My other options are to fold...which isn't terrible I guess, but a bit too nitty I believe, and call, which I do think is pretty terrible as I am lost on later streets and so much of the deck is difficult for me, especially if UTG+1 calls too.)

Turn: ($106.00) 8c (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($106.00) Ad (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $106.00
BTN shows 9h 9s (two pair, Nines and Eights)
Hero shows Th Ts (two pair, Tens and Eights)
Hero wins $103.00

Ship the thin value! As for his play, I think he played it fine. He's almost definitely value betting vs. the donk, and he can't expect me to show up with a hand that often. And I just happened to have the absolute worst possible hand for him. Against other hands I might be shoving with (say, sets, AhTh,QhTh,JhTh,T9s,87s,67s), he has almost 40% equity.

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

lj said...

thx. :) i strive to be a good horsie.