June 25, 2008

THIN! (Part 4)

Loose-passive players ("calling stations") are by far the most profitable type of player to play against. I think some players tighten up too much, especially post-flop, against these players and miss a lot of value bets, which is a big mistake. You do want to avoid hands that could be dominated and such, but when you make a good pair, just keep betting until your loose-passive opponent raises to inform you that you are beat. Here's an example of a hand vs. a station where I got max value out of my thin edge:

Seat 2: MP1 ($130.20)
Seat 5: CO($152.20)
Seat 8: HERO (BB) ($233.55)
CO posts $2

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Jh Ad]
MP1 calls $2
CO checks
HERO checks (Some aggressive players raise here to punish the limper and the poster. While I don't think that's a terrible play, I think it's probably not the best one. MP1 is probably not folding if I make it $12. Once he calls, the poster will feel priced in too. At that point I've created a pretty big pot where I'm out of position, with a pretty marginal hand, and if they get a piece of the flop, they aren't going anywhere. Also some of the hands they might fold - like A6 or J9 - I want to keep in their range so that I can win a big pot if we both hit a pair.)

*** FLOP *** [Js 7h 4d]

HERO checks
MP1 bets $6
CO folds
HERO raises to $20 (Check-raising here is unusual for me, but I did it for a couple of reasons: 1) MP1 has a tendency to bet pot when checked to in a limped pot, so I was pretty sure it wouldn't be checked around, 2) MP1 is willing to go broke with top pair weak kicker on boards like this, so I want to get the pot bigger. In a limped pot, you have to get in a raise at some point to get all the money in - bet, bet, bet won't get it done, and he won't raise me. 3) By letting MP1 bet, I can see what the CO will do. If he raises, I would probably fold. He posted and checked his option, meaning he could have any two cards. So while MP1 can't really have J7 or J4 or 74 - he's loose, but not a complete tard - the CO could. Also if the CO just calls, I will still be confident I have the best hand, and can trap his money in the pot when I raise.)
MP1 calls $14 (Loving this call. Putting him on KJ-JT every time.)

*** TURN *** [Js 7h 4d] [Kh]
HERO bets $34 (The turn card is not my favorite, obviously. Partly because if he had KJ, now he's ahead, partly because it might scare him off calling down with QJ or JT. But again, vs. the stations: keep betting until they tell you you're beat. If he raises here, I probably fold.)
MP1 calls $34 (Just calls = AJ is gold.)

*** RIVER *** [Js 7h 4d Kh] [8c]
HERO bets $75 (Straight draw gets there, but there was pretty much no river card that I wasn't going to set him all-in on. Checking down here and giving a weaker jack a free showdown would be a big mistake. And if you think you can't get value out of a worse jack here, you are wrong:)
MP1 calls $74.20, and is all in

*** SHOW DOWN ***
HERO shows [Jh Ad] a pair of Jacks
MP1 mucked
[Qd Jd] - a pair of Jacks

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Very interesting. I think I am guilty of missing some value on the river in situations like this one.