December 15, 2008

Cutting back on variance, Brack is Beautiful (Part 14)

I've been falling on the wrong side of the RNG of late...combination of some coolers and overaggression. In an effort to cut down in the variance and leverage my postfrop knowledge, I've cut down on the aggression - both post and prefrop. Here is a perfect example...




Ok, so I guess you could say I sucked out here...and granted I was a dog on the flop, but my opponent let me get there on the cheap.

Here are my thoughts on the above hand...

On the flop...I have such a powerful draw that I will definitely not be folding it. When I lead into the field...and I get min raised by a donk. Folds back to me and this is where I face a big decision. Do I want to put more money in right here or should I call and wait for a good turn? I have a HUGE draw, my equity is probably in the hood of 50%.

Folding is obviously not an option...but 150bbs deep, I felt like my villain was not FOLDING. That's a huge factor in my decision. He definitely has at least an Ace, maybe two pair...possibly a set. He's definitely not folding any part of that range...and he probably shouldn't be either. Do I want to get 1500bbs in the middle with a mega draw where I have no FE? Meh...pass on the variance, I call.

Turn strengthen's my hand...but not relative to my villain's range...I bet and don't get raised...SWEET! Nice cheap river card for me...

River - BOOM! Money card...I have the nuts vs his range. I bet big and get paid off...I do regret not sticking in a little overbet though, definitely lost some value...dagger.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

The RNG can be a mean little bitch.