December 31, 2008

Sprit Pot (Part 6)

Here I turned a made hand into a bluff on the river, hoping to fold out much better hands than the one I got called by:

Seat 4: bruechips (UTG) ($304.15)
Seat 6: UTG+2 ($316.90)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [As Kh]
bruechips raises to $8
UTG+2 calls $8

*** FLOP *** [Kd 6s 4s]
bruechips bets $15
UTG+2 calls $15 (Pretty standard so far. With his call I'd say his range is KQ/AK, 66/44, possibly QQ-TT and some spades)

*** TURN *** [Kd 6s 4s] [7s]
bruechips checks (If I had it to do over again I'd probably just barrel again here. But I decided to keep the pot smaller and be sure I'd get to see the river, rather than bet and either fold to a raise when I have a draw to the nuts or get it in way behind. Check-raising with the intention of shoving any river isn't a bad option either.)
UTG+2 bets $30 (The spectre of spades obviously looms large...although his range of spades is narrowed by the fact that I have the As, he could still have KsQs, JsTs, maybe Ts9s/9s8s, although those are somewhat less likely given that he called an UTG raiser when he was still in early position himself.)
bruechips calls $30

*** RIVER *** [Kd 6s 4s 7s] [8c]
bruechips checks
UTG+2 bets $60 (The 8c doesn't really worry me too much because there aren't many fives in his range. He could have floated the flop with 87s and have runner-runnered two pair, but that would be very gross and unlikely. His bet sizing (the pot is about $100 at this point) indicate to me that he's trying to make some kind of thinnish value bet. I.e., he does not have a flush. Also I have the As, so for sure he can't have the nuts. The problem with me raising and trying to represent a flush is that I check/called the turn, which is a line I take only occasionally with a flush. But I did think I would have a chance of getting a fold out of 66 and 44 with a river check-raise. It's just so rare that you see a river check/raise from a non-psycho player that's a bluff. He tanked forEVER and finally called.)
bruechips raises to $175
UTG+2 calls $115

*** SHOW DOWN ***
bruechips shows [As Kh] a pair of Kings
UTG+2 shows [Ks Ad] a pair of Kings

Well, you probably already knew the outcome from the title of the post. I wonder if he can call this down if he doesn't have the Ks (eliminating the possibility that I have AsKs or KsQs). I do not think his call is a good one, because the best he's getting is a split. If I had say, AsQh, I think I would almost always just barrel the turn because I have less showdown equity and check/calling with just a draw on the turn is almost never good. If I had QsQh, I would either bet/fold or check/fold the turn. The range of hands that I could possibly be check-raising the river with is AsKx, AsQs, occasionally AsJs (usually I just fold AJs UTG pre-frop), and AsAx (mostly as a bluff, same as I did here with AKo). Against that range, even if it's heavily weighted to AKo since I don't check/call the turn too often with the made flushes and don't bluff raise the river as often with the rockets, he's not doing so well, since at best he's chopping. But, my turn action did make my line a little weird and I'm positive that's what made him call down. Oh well. Just have to mark him as a suspicious type. And check/call the turn and check/raise the river with flushes more often.

Finally, I will be leaving the country for two weeks tomorrow, heading to Patagonia to do some hiking and whatnot. I will try to post some pictures when I get back if I figure out how. In any case, Brackchips will be in charge of the brog while I'm gone. So essentially, don't expect too much in the way of posting until the second half of January. Happy New Year, everyone!!

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Have a safe trip and HNY!!