December 9, 2008

So Wrong Yet So Right...

I usually try and post hands that I think I played well just becuase that seems to be the best way to explain things...but here was one interesting hand where I totally missed my read on the opponent yet somehow backed my way into a sick value bet. This was down to 3 in a 1-table donk-n-go, with blinds at 80/160.

Seat 1: SB (3,140)
Seat 2: BB (5,105)
Seat 7: bruechips (button) (5,255)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [6c 7c]
bruechips raises to 400 (I'm chip leader, I'm on the button...vs most opponents I will be raising a pretty wide range)
SB folds
BB calls 240 (This guy had been really tight up until this point. I think his stats were like 13/2 or something. So I interpreted his call as being pretty strong. But not AA/KK, which I thought he'd probably re-raise, not wanting to risk getting sucked out on when he and I were significantly deeper than the SB, who was also a donk.)

*** FLOP *** [9h 7d 5h]
BB checks
bruechips bets 600 (As far as flops go, I can't ask for much better than this. I bet at the time because while I will in general be folding out only worse hands, and have to fold if he check-raises, I just wanted to go ahead and take down the pot if he had nothing rather than checking and having a jack peel off on the turn and losing to QJ or something. Maybe vs. this passive opponent I'd be better off checking back since he's never going to bluff me on the turn.)
BB calls 600 (At this point I put him one pair, and most one pair hands beat me.)

*** TURN *** [9h 7d 5h] [2c]
BB checks
bruechips bets 1,350 (He had been playing so tight, I convinced myself that here he'd be folding 88, T9, 78, A7, etc....)
BB calls 1,350 (He still won't go away....)

*** RIVER *** [9h 7d 5h 2c] [Tc]
BB checks
bruechips bets 2,905, and is all in (He checks again when something of a scare card hits. Again with him playing so tight and clearly not having the nuts, I thought if I shove no way he can call. And there are plenty of hands better than mine he could have. The hands I mentioned above, plus now JT, maybe some random hearts that included the Th...who knows. But I clearly had him misread as my horror at his call turned into confused glee once he turned over his cards and the pot got shipped my way....)
BB calls 2,755, and is all in

*** SHOW DOWN ***
BB (big blind) mucked [5d Ah] - a pair of Fives
bruechips showed [6c 7c] and won (10,290) with a pair of Sevens

Ship the accidental value bet!

-BRUECHIPS

2 comments:

Fuel55 said...

I guess he's putting you a three-barrel bluff with overs?

spritpot said...

Absolutely...which is fair enough, since I thought I was bluffing anyway.