January 15, 2009

THIN! (Part 12)

Ok back to our regularly scheduled content of poker hands...check out the action below.



So we have a pretty standard call with AQ vs a UTG raise...


The flop is pretty nuttish for our hand...but how does it fair in a multiway pot that includes a UTG raise?  Obviously we are behind any sets and any overpair...so I think calling behind is pretty standard.  You could make a case for raising here to get value from draws, but I only think you will get played back by sets, Axhh, and overpairs.  

UTG checks back the turn on a blank 8, and we are faced with a decision to check or bet.  Betting is pretty much a no brainer here...we want to get value from any heart draws, and 99-JJ.  I was prepared to pitch my hand in the event that was check raised here, a utg raiser who c bets into 4 people and then check raises the turn, that's a pretty daymn strong line - and I'm likely no good vs this player...who was not playing particularly aggressive. 

I'm a little confused when UTG check calls...it sure doesn't feel as if he has an overpair, especially when he checks back the river.  I was VERY tempted to make a thin value bet here on the river, but I felt like there were SO few UTG raising hands hands that will call me with worse here.  

He tables a second best KQ and I throw up a bit in my mouth...I missed a MONSTER vb on the river, it would have been razor thin but I DOUBT he is check folding.  It is very possible he could put me on missed hearts.  

It really PAINS ME to miss out on value on the river...its the street where decisions are the most expensive and thus have a monsterous effect on your winrate.  I missed out on a 1/4 - 1/2 buyin here when I missed a river bet.  GROSS.

-BRACKCHIPS

No comments: