January 27, 2009

THIN! (Part 13)

These days even in lower stakes tourneys, most players are aware that good players are opening a wide range of hands in late position and c-betting most flops. As a result, when you're 20-25 bbs deep or so, you get check-raised all-in pretty often on rag boards that miss most hands. One way to combat this is to c-bet less, checking behind hands with some showdown value, hoping to show down without putting in your whole stack, and to pick off some bluffs on later streets. Another way is to c-bet and call shoves much lighter. It's worth mixing it up between the two, but here's an example of the second strategy working to perfection:

Blinds @ 150/300, Antes 25
Seat 5: bruechips (6,060)
Seat 6: SB (9,760)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [Ah Ks]
bruechips raises to 750
SB calls 600

*** FLOP *** [9d 4c 3c]
SB checks
bruechips bets 1,350 (If I'm not willing to call a shove, I shouldn't bet this hand. I decided to bet/call, and I want to size my bet to induce as many shoves as possible. There's about 2200 in the pot, effective stacks are 5300. If I had absolutely nothing (like 8h7h) and wanted to try and steal, I think I'd bet about 1350, which makes that a good amount to bet here when I'm going to call light. It leaves enough in my stack that I can fold. This board is so crappy, I think he's going to shove over my c-bet at least 1/2 the time. If he has 66, I've got 6 outs plus runner-runner straight, so it's not the end of the world.)
SB raises to 8,985, and is all in (On cue.)
bruechips calls 3,935, and is all in (I had already decided I was going to call before betting, so this was a snap call.)
SB shows [Th Jd] (Pwnd.)
bruechips shows [Ah Ks]

*** TURN *** [9d 4c 3c] [7d]
*** RIVER *** [9d 4c 3c 7d] [5c]

bruechips wins the pot (12,595) with Ace King high

Managed to dodge 10 outs on the river FTW!!!

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Josh said...

Great post. Best MTT strategy post I have read in the past few weeks. So simple yet typically overlooked.

Thanks a lot, I'll definately be more aware of my c-bets in these spots. ( low limit mtt'er )

Feel free to check out my blog and provide advice as you see fit ;)

http://www.drawflush.com