April 9, 2008

3 betting from the blinds creates a sticky situation



Much props to Foucault for discovering this sweet hand replayer...if any of our loyal readers (do we even have any?) would care to comment on it, we would greatly appreciate it! Sorry to any of you at an office where poker related sites are blocked, I guess you will just have to check it out from home this time around (we will do anything to get hits on our blog!).

Now that you have seen the hand...let me try and add my thought process as this hand unfolded.

Villain is a regular at the game, plays a TAG 15/10 style and his attempt to steal ratio is ~25. When it is folded to me in the SB, I think calling, folding, and raising are all plausible. However, IMO - the most optimal line (in order) is folding, raising, calling.

PREFLOP - I opted to 3b (with the intention of folding to a 4b). When the villain calls, I'm not exactly thrilled...although I can now narrow his range down to less than premium holdings. He could be be set mining and/or trying to use his position advantage postflop to win the pot.

FLOP - about the worse possible flop imaginable. TT2 rainbow. If you are in this spot against a competent player...I think that a cbet here is simply BURNING money. Any decent player will either float or raise you. Then you have over a 1/3 BI in the middle with K high out of position. Not exactly the idea scenario. When I opted to check, thankfully the villain opted to check behind (I intended to check fold if he made a bet).

TURN - turning the second nut frush draw can't really get a better card. Now its time to fight for this pot! I thought of leading this turn, but figured the villain would bet his ENTIRE range if I checked it to him again. It is unlikely he has a T, and if he has a boat...so be it. I have quite a bit of equity vs his range since it is doubtful he has an overpair to the board so I think I will be getting a fold here most of the time if I CR. Surely I can get a fold from 33-99 right? NOTTTTTTTTTTTTSOMUCHHHHHHHHHHH!

The villain ends up making a hero call with presto which by the river is NO GOOOODDDD!

While I ended up making the best hand...I think I maximized my equity with the line I took given the fact I was out of position with a board where it was difficult to rep much. The villain does not need to be folding on the turn that often for the CR to be profitable.

BRACKCHIPS

Rike it!! Arthough note that you got a very thin carr from your virrain here. And I think rightfurry so...you're representing that the deuce herped you somehow, which means you either have deuces furr (pretty unrikery), or diamonds (more rikery) or perhaps even an inside wheer draw. Given that, it might not be a bad idea to "srowpray" some fairly marginal hands here, rike JJ or even 99. How sick would it have been to get that much varue out of 99?

BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

You frish kill me but cracking presto is sick.