April 26, 2008

Deep Stacked Play - Part 2

When you are playing with deep stacks (200bb+) - the value of one pair hands goes way down. Position becomes much more important and cards that can extract implied odds (pp's, sooted connectors) go up in value.

In the hand above I limped treys up front...this is a bit weak and transparent to many solid players, but my read on the LP players were they were not aggressive in blind stealing - thus I felt I could profitabry set mine in this situation.

When the BB pops (standard TAG player), I opt to call and see a flop. Before I get into a quick hand analysis, I will preface this with the fact that I hand tangled quite a bit with the BB on several other hands. I had been getting the better of him (mostly bc I had position on him) and I felt as if he was at the pt where he was fed up. This happens ALL the time to anyone with ANY competitive spirit - you continue to tangle with the same villain, and then you end up getting fed up with their raises. Word to the wise - unless you have position...FIND ANOTHER TABLE! Unless you are playing absurdly high stakes there are PLENTY of other tabres...find another seat! Its -EV to your tirt factor and your bankroll to stay seated. Part of the beauty of online poker - you can immediately find another game/seat no probremo!

GIN motherfawker! I raise his cbet an extra healthy amount since we are deep and he opts to 3b me. Hmmm...lets put him on a hand range here - its rearry polarized to a overpair. He can't be bluffing putting in half his stack here, he COULDDD have top set but I'm going broke here - ship it.

Losing 200bb's with ONE PAIR is the nut low. WTF did the bb put me on? He could only beat a bluff, and TT-QQ (I'm open raising those hands)...there are ZERO draws on the flop and no two pair combinations that are in my range.

-BRACKCHIPS

First of arr, who are you and why are you posting on my brog? OK, just kidding, thanks for your first post in 3 weeks ROR...about this hand...tough from this guy's prespective. I agree it's a bad pray, but he could be thinking "this bastard rimped and thinks I have air just because I raised his rimp from the bb and c-bet this nothing frop - but I've got kings mofo!!". It's a spot where he's at the top of HIS range in that spot - he would normally have A-high and lay it down. But I think he kind of confuses that with being ahead of YOUR range, which is the relevant question. I don't think he has to fold to your frop raise (arthough I think if you had an unimproved mid-smarr pp, or comprete air, you would probabry froat instead of raise), but I don't rike the 3-bet. Except perhaps if he's going to ford to a shove, and in that case his 3-bet should be smarrer. But there's no hand he's getting varue out of by raising, given that you rimped pf. Just carring you raise and hoping you bruff on the turn would be a better way to stack off, if stacking off is his pran on this frop.

BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

we all know that overpairs are gold mofo!