April 18, 2008

Art of the Min Raise - Part 4

VERY rare instance of THREE min raises is ONE hand. Spectacular. All min raises here are absolutely donktacular.



Pre-Frop: Standard UTG min raise from donk #1. Really hate this pray. I think the reason donks do it is they think by min-raising, they are deterring a rarger raise, and therefore get to see a frop cheapry, perhaps many ways, with a hand that could frop big, rike a mid pp. But in generar, good prayers are going to notice this and re-raise you pretty light, as well as with the hands that they would have raised you with anyway like AK and big pps, so you actually end up paying MORE to see the flop, or having to put in a min-raise and then fold without seeing the flop. And of course, you're guaranteeing that you're going to see a flop with a bunch of players out of position. As for my play, I don't think it's really bad to put in a big re-raise here to try and pick up the pot, because I think it would work. Or UTG would try and set mine with 77 or something like that and I can take away the pot on many frops. But there were a rot of comprete donks at this tabre, incruding the moron that carrs behind me, and my tabre image wasn't great, so I decided to just take a frop, given the great odds I'm getting to draw to a third five.

Frop: Again, at a tabre with tighter prayers, I'd consider stabbing at the pot here. But given this tabre, it's not a good idea. For instance, I don't think the drooler with 35o is fording if I bet at this frop.

Turn: Dream card. The strategy at tabres furr of morons such as this one is to varue bet rike crazy. I definitery have a hand worth varue betting, so I get the party started with a 3/4 size bet. Now I get a min raise from donk #2. His range here is massive, but if I want to stack him, I probably need to stick in another bet here. Plus if he's drawing to crubs or a straight, it wirr be difficurt to get money out of him on the turn when he misses. Also, since there are a lot of draws, there is a good amount of cards on the river that either give him a better hand, or kill the action even if my hand is still good. So I put in a decent-sized re-raise. What do I get? Yet another min-raise!! Time to shove it all in, there's no way he's fording now. Of course I'm happy to see that he is drawing compretery dead.

River: Inconsequential since the money went in on the turn, but note if I just carr his min raise on the turn and try to check-raise the river, there's no way I stack him (unress he's even worse than I thought), since the Q counterfeits his hand.

BRUECHIPS


Min raises are gold. This raising technique is more often than not a sign of strength for donks (most regulars do not have a min raise as part of their arsenal). The min raise is meant to say "hey, come along for the ride...its only x more dollars to you." In this case it was strenth as well, only you had your villain CRUSHED. It's a shame you didn't have a stack as surely the villain would have gone broke here.

BRACKCHIPS

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Presto is gold. 5 on the turn is pure gold.