July 1, 2008

Hands that make me vomit - PART 1

I have been WAY behind the ball in posting lately...recently got a temp work gig that has left little time to PWN at the tables.However, when I have had the opportunity to play, I feel very fresh - I think I have really been sticking to my A game and not letting tilt/lengthy sessions cut into my earn. At the same time...I am definitely still making mistakes and the hand below highlights a hand that I absolutely BUTCHERED postfrop - thus I have decided to create a new series - "Hands that make me vomit."





I'm not sure what ya'll think of how I played this hand, but looking back on it, personally I do not think I could have butchered more. PF and the flop decisions are pretty much a no brainer...so I am not even going to go evaluate my play PF and on the flop. However, my turn and river play are pretty shitty IMO.

So what mistakes did I make here?
a) The turn check is attrocious. The villain in this spot is a pretty weak tight (something like 14/5) and when he calls on the flop he has one of the following - a set, a Kx, or a FD. I need to somehow get value from a FD's, and Kx type hands on the turn...I opted to check call for a combination of reasons - pot control/we were deeper than normal/oop.
b) I opted to check call here...granted it is not the WORST call by any means, but I don't really think the villain is value betting worse often enough to warrant a call. I don't think he is going to show up here with KQ often enough.

Honestly I do not know the best line for the turn, leading or CR'ing...the problem with the latter is that the stacks are a bit too large for a CRAI and if I make it say 400 - and get called...it will be VERY hard to lay my hand down on the river regardless of the card that comes.

In retrospect, my optimal line would have been to lead the turn and check fold a spade on the river. I could have saved the river bet that I called on the river and used it to get some more money while I was ahead on the turn. One bad decision on the turn lead to a bad river decision. That is the beauty of this game...while there are only FOUR possible actions if a hand gets to the river - it continually presents me with a challenge. Its a puzzle, mystery, clusterfuck, whatever you want to call it - I can't get enough of it.

2 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Email me the HH please. Yeah, I know, my work sucks.

Fuel55 said...

I dont mind the check-call on the turn. Stacks are too deep to get AK all in there and given his hand he calls another lead bet anyway.

You dont want to lead turn and get popped for another $400 do you?

He only has 8 outs to get you on the river so you just gotta take a small beat and move on. And I think the way you played it you have to pay him off.