July 31, 2008

Hands that make me vomit - PART 3

Lately I have noticed a serious leak in my game - river decisions. Its a good thing that very few hands go all the way to the river...because I seem to continually BURN money on 5th street - whether it is not folding, betting, or calling a raise - I'm on a hot streak lately. It really pisses me off because obviously its the most expensive street to make mistakes on.

I absolutely BUTCHERED both of the hands below...

Hand #1



Ok this play is not exaxctly standard but based on the villain's stat's, on the flop it really smelled like he had two overs. Guys who play 16/7 often will not raise utg with strong hands like AK, AQ, 88-JJ.

So I opt to float in position to the gheyly sized check raise (giving me something like 4.5-1 to call) and I end up getting runner runner (i run gooooot!). He leads the river for a nice sized bet and have him on an A, maybbbbbe AA, but its more likely Ax (A8 is COMPLETELY out of his range and so unlikely I never considered it).

I just CALL with TOP 2, so ghey. If I ship...or make a nice raise, I think there is a shot I'm getting called down.

I think I EASILY lost half a BI here - GROSS.

Hand #2



BEAUTY of a frop here, and I will be bet bet betting every day and twice on sunday. I have a SHITTON of equity against pretty much every conceivable range other than a set. TPTK, NFD, backdoor straight draw, overcard...I'm living the dream here.

Frop - firing is standard here
Turn - firing is standard again
River - WHY THE FAWK did I bet here? His line is SO looking like a frush draw, 9T, and KT. When I bet, I am only getting called by KT (which beats me!). When the A comes, it is unlikely I am getting called by KQ...why not check to induce a bluff? I'm never folding in that spot if he ships...too much in the pot and the guy was a total donk.

I think I prolly lost quarter of a BI here (maybe half the time he bluffs his stack on the river) - more grossness.

Part of my problem with river decisions is the fact that autopilot mode occasionally creeps up on me...PF and frop play are relatively straightfoward - turn/river situations do not come up as often and thus I am more prone to make mistakes. Also, playing these streets optimally requires much deeper thought than pre/flop play...you are required to process more information and analyze in further detail indivdual spots/situtations.

Here's to better postfrop pray!!!

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Hand 1 - horrible
Hand 2 - not that bad (he might feel compelled to call you down with KQ?)