July 6, 2008

Thanks for Not Stacking Me, Bro! (Part 4)

How do you flop a J-high flush vs. a Q-high flush and lose only $28? Slowplay-on-slowplay donkery!!

Seat 1: MP ($299.55)
Seat 3: CO-1 ($219.05)
Seat 4: CO ($152.30)
Seat 5: Button ($91.75)
Seat 6: HERO (SB) ($211)
Seat 7: BB ($203)

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to HERO [Jh 5h]
MP calls $2
CO-1 calls $2
CO calls $2
Button calls $2
HERO calls $1 (This is a pretty neutral EV call. In general I don't like completing from the small blind with weak hands, even with a lot of limpers. I  completed due to sooted-ness, but folding is a good play here too IMO. If the BB were a more loose-aggressive player with a tendency to punish limpers in a situation like this, I'd probably fold.)
BB checks

*** FLOP *** [4h Ah 6h] (Looks good...)
HERO checks (Well, here's part of why folding pre-flop isn't a bad play...I got the best flop possible and...what do I do now? Not going to get too much action from just an ace...I checked with the intention of raising to protect my hand and get value vs. a draw to a bigger flush, a set, or two pair. My thinking at the time was that this would probably be my line with a draw, and I've noticed that a lot of players assume you have the draw when you take this line, so I thought I could get it all in vs. A4 or A6. A lot of the time I would be leading here, though, esp with the ace on board.)
BB checks
MP checks
CO-1 checks
CO checks
Button checks

*** TURN *** [4h Ah 6h] [5s]
HERO bets $11 (Unfortunately nobody took the bait on the flop, so now I have to bet myself on the turn. This is one of the best turn cards I could hope for. There are now some straights out and more two pairs that might give me action.)
MP calls $11, everyone else folds

*** RIVER *** [4h Ah 6h 5s] [2h]
HERO checks (This is obviously not the best river card as if MP were drawing to a bigger flush he just got there, and if he had two pair or a straight, he won't call another bet. I decided to turn my hand into a bluff-catcher ad hope he would turn 67 into a bluff or something like that. I like betting and folding to a raise here too though.)
MP bets $15
HERO calls $15
*** SHOW DOWN ***
MP shows [8h Qh] a flush, Ace high

Thanks for not stacking me, bro! If you bet at any point in the hand before the river, you will get all of my money. If you are making $26 when you FLOP A FAWKING FRUSH OVER FRUSH after limping Q8s in MP, limping pre-flop is definitely not a good play. But whatever, he's a donk, so probably the most +EV thing he could do is to leave the table. Thankfully this time his donktastic play saved me a bunch of money. It's also a good thing he didn't have Th9h, because then I would really be kicking myself, and he would probably be writing a "Thanks for Not Stacking Me, Bro!" post.

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: