July 15, 2008

Hands That Make Me Vomit (Part 2)

Recently I have been on an absurdly bad run, finding pretty much any way possible to lose money. Happens, I guess. You always know it's gonna happen, it's part of the game, blah blah blah, but knowing it's going to happen doesn't make it any easier to take when you're experiencing it. Here's one hand that at first looks like a total cooler...and is, definitely, but at the same time, I don't think I played it very well. The villain is a 36/15 donk:

Seat 2: HERO (MP1) ($201)
Seat 4: MP2 ($229)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [8s 8h]
HERO raises to $8
MP2 calls $8

*** FLOP *** [Qd Qc Kd]
HERO bets $13 (Not exactly the flop I was looking for in terms of giving me a good hand, but I think it's a mandatory c-bet. I think he probably has to fold JJ-99, and I don't want to check and give hands like AJ/AT or underpairs a chance to either make a better hand or bluff me out of the pot)
MP2 calls $13

*** TURN *** [Qd Qc Kd] [8c]
HERO bets $35 (I was pretty much done with the hand until I hit a full house here. I think betting the turn is good because I do think he will pay to draw to a second best hand with some big diamonds or maybe even JT, and I think he will call with a hand like KJ. He might even have AK, although I think he probably would have raised either before or on the flop.)
MP2 calls $35

*** RIVER *** [Qd Qc Kd 8c] [Jh]
HERO bets $145, and is all in (This is a big mistake in the hand, I think. I think overbetting for value is a great tool to have -this is an overbet, pot is about $100- but this is not a good spot for it at all. He has a lot of missed draws in his range that I'd like to give a chance to bluff by checking. I don't think he would call this down with KJ or any other king. Maybe maybe he calls down with AdTd or perhaps AQ, although I think he would have raised earlier with AQ. So there aren't too many worse hands I could get value from. Secondly, he could definitely be slowplaying a better hand, specifically KQ. He could have QJ too, although again I think he might have raised earlier. I think a better line would be to either check-call or even bet $60 or so to try and get value from a K or AQ.  I think I would even have to fold to a raise. Maybe I'm just seeing monsters under the bed and I'm gunshy after taking so many beats in the last few days, but I don't see him raising worse on the river. In any case, he instacalled my shove and did in fact have KQ.)
MP2 calls $145

*** SHOW DOWN ***
MP2 shows [Kh Qh] a full house, Queens full of Kings

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Board is getting a little coord on that river - switch to check call mode.