February 10, 2008

Folding overpairs

Here's the action...I will follow up with some commentary after the HH. To all our loyal (and non-loyal readers) - thank you for putting up with our crappy HH descriptions, from here on out we will use a converter for your viewing preasure!

Full Tilt Poker, $5/$10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: $497
BTN: $1,000
SB: $990
BB: $588
Hero (UTG): $1,898.30
UTG+1: $988.50
MP1: $169.35
MP2: $525.50

Pre-Flop: K K dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $35, UTG+1 calls $35, 4 folds, SB calls $30, BB calls $25

Flop: ($140) 3 2 5 (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $125, UTG+1 raises to $325, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1,863.30 and is All-In, UTG+1 calls $628.50 and is All-In

Turn: ($2,047) J (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($2,047) T (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $2,047 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed K K (a pair of Kings) and LOST (-$988.50 NET)
UTG+1 showed 5 5 (three of a kind, Fives) and WON $2,044 (+$1,055.50 NET)

Well as you can tell from the HH, I stacked off with an overpair to the board here. Just a REALLY TERRIBLE play on my part. Atrocious.

Prefrop - pretty standard raise. Flop - I really HATED that flop when it came down with 4 way action. There are a PLETHORA of hands that have me crushed or drawing dead. However, I chose to cbet to see where I was at. The mistake that I made was NOT deciding to any fold to any heat BEFORE making my cbet. When you think ahead a step or two, it makes things MUCH easier. I ended up getting too attached to my overpair when UTG+1 raised my cbet...and I paid the price and stacked off. Its really not that big of a fold here, the villain was not a very aggressive player...its a perfect spot for him to be set mining, and when he commits a HUGE portion of his stack on the flop, he's going all the way. He has TT-QQ in this spot like NEVER. Against this villain, I can really only beat a bluff or a OESD.

The majority of profits in NLHE come from your BIG HANDS (sets, frushes, straights, FH's, etc), not one pair hands. Learn to fold big pairs post flop and TRUST your gut.

BRACKCHIPS

Arso, I don't know why you didn't mention this arready, but you had NO spades. Even though he onry has one spade, and it's a five, he's pretty much a favorite the whole way. Presto is GOLD! No way you're drawing dead though. Even if he has A4 for a flopped straight, you're still quad-mining...although the odds aren't quite there....

BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Fuel55 said...

Presto is indeed gold - see a 5 - fold your overpair - its the right thing to do.