April 22, 2009

A Well-Played Hand at the End of a Bad Sesh

Monday night's sesh did NOT go well for yours truly, as I managed to 1) run KK into AA for 250bbs vs. an 85/55 spewtard 2) Get in 200 bbs with KK vs. QQ on a J-high frop, only to have my opponent river a Q, 3) get in 100 bbs prefrop with AK vs. AQ...A-high frop, river Q, and 4) get in 100 bbs on the turn with 88 vs. 33 on a 7654r  board, river 8 for a chop. Throw in a spewy bruff here and there, it turned out not to be a good night. 


However I did manage to play one hand well, and it's kind of the other side of the coin of Brackchips's river crai post - if you're able to recognize a thin value bet and raise it as a bruff, you have to protect those bruffs by check-raising for value sometimes too. It's pretty rare to check/raise one pair for value successfully on the river, but I managed to pull it off here:

Virrain in the hand seemed somewhat competent up to this point, but wasn't a fan of folding and I had seen him make a thin, small value bet in one previous hand.

UTG: $100.75
UTG+1: $50.75
UTG+2: $54.60
MP1: $103.85
MP2: $38.40
CO: $72.00
BTN: $50.45
Hero (SB): $100.00
BB: $67.35

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with As Ah
7 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1 

Flop: ($3.00) 3h 2d Th (2 players)
Hero bets $2, BB raises to $4, Hero calls $2 (Often I'd re-raise and just try to get as much value as possible from a T, but his range is so much wider than that that I think I miss value from his complete air hands by raising...so I just call. The fact that I have the Ah in my hand makes me less afraid of hearts. Also two aces means that I hold some of 45's outs, and even if an A comes to give that hand a straight, I can fill up on the river.)

Turn: ($11.00) 4d (2 players)
Hero bets $6, BB calls $6 (I led again here because 1) why would the four help me? It seems like a weird spot for me to lead, so I think I could get him to spazz out and raise a large amount - at least I would do that if I were him at least some of the time 2) I don't want him to check back 45 or hearts or 88 or any ace or any number of random hands that catch some piece of this board)

River: ($23.00) 8c (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $6, Hero raises to $16, BB calls $10 (He folds too often if I bet, but he's likely to bet missed draws as a bluff, and since I had seen him do it before, I think he'd value bet any four or better. He bets small, indicating he is trying to squeeze some value out of one pair. I raise an amount that I think one pair will call - I think I maybe should have raised more, as I'm not sure he'd fold anything, given the weird way the hand played out. Villains of his type usually think they induce a lot of bruffs by making these small river bets - and perhaps they are right - and therefore call down with anything at all. Here, he could easily think I have just A-high or some hearts or something. He called the extra $10 without timing down too much, so I think I should have made it $21 or so instead, also because that's the amount I would make it if I were bluffing.)

Final Pot: $55.00
Hero shows As Ah (a pair of Aces)
BB mucks 6h 8d
Hero wins $52.25

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: