July 12, 2009

Thanks for Not Stacking Me, Bro! (Part 16)

Heads up at the end of a 90-man KO tourney on FT:


BB: t89354 M = 6.38
Hero (BTN/SB): t180646 M = 12.90

Pre Flop: (t14000) Hero is BTN/SB with 3s 6h
Hero calls t4000, BB checks (Usually I don't limp the SB HU, but I thought this guy was pretty bad post-flop, so I didn't want to lose the opportunity to take a frop in position against him, and he hadn't shoved on my rimps before. So I thought calling was better than folding. Our stack sizes make raise/folding a mistake, I think. The other option would be just shoving, and again I think the stack sizes are bad for that. It's still probably better than folding, but with my chip lead and what I perceived to be a skill advantage, I didn't want to risk him showing up with a decent hand.)

Flop: (t18000) 2c 6s 2s (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t12000, BB calls t12000 (Frop top pair, usually the nuts in a HU limped pot. If he had check/raised me, I would absolutely be just insta-getting it in, and getting shown 34/45/K-high all the time. His call was somewhat alarming though...it could be A-high, but you'd think he'd probably shove over my limp with a decent ace prefrop. I would think he'd check/shove spade or straight draws if he wanted to go with him, so the check/call represents a made hand. And what kinds of made hands other than A-high is he calling with?)

Turn: (t42000) 9c (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks (My thought process above led me to check back this card.)

River: (t42000) Jh (2 players)
BB bets t16000, Hero calls t16000 (He bets 1/3 pot, I'm obviously not folding given the size of the bet and the fact that I have a pair. If he did in fact slowplay a deuce or rivered a J or something, so be it.)

Final Pot: t74000
BB shows 2d Ts (three of a kind, Twos)
Hero mucks 3s 6h

And there you have it, a recipe for fropping trips heads up and extracting the absolute minimum from top pair. I eliminated him to win the tourney a few hands later when I flopped top pair and he check-raised all-in with middle pair. True story.

-BRUECHIPS

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Congrat$ on the win.