February 14, 2009

Ship the airport win & Check calling for value

I found myself fiending for some action while in the Oakland airport recently…and decided to fire up a few tables.  I tested out the free wireless, it seemed stable enough that I was confident I wouldn’t have any disconnect problems.  Found a few juicy tables and got the action started…this session was particularly +EV bc I stuck to playing 4-5 tables for a few reasons – on my laptop, little more difficult to concentrate in a public place, and the possibility of getting disconnected.  Nothing can tilt you more than a disconnect when you frop the nuts and lose yer connection – just ask this guy!

Its VERY rare to find yourself xc’ing 3 streets for value – ESPECIALLY in a raised pot.  Obviously there are many factors that must be true in order to even have the chance to do this…you need to be out of position, you need to have a hand that has showdown value, and you need to have an aggressive opponent who is willing to bluff three streets.  The conditions were perfect today....

I'm going to use another converter...if anyone has any love/hate for this or the one I usually use, fire away on the comment section.  

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $6.00 BB (9 handed) 

BRACKCHIPS (MP1) ($1081.95)
MP2 ($216)
MP3 ($1160.30)
CO ($1105.90)
Button ($600)
SB ($114)
BB ($817.85)
UTG ($141.45)
UTG+1 ($111)

Preflop: BRACKCHIPS is MP1 with J, J
UTG raises to $12, 1 fold, BRACKCHIPS calls $12, 1 fold, MP3 calls $12, 1 fold, Button calls $12, 2 folds

Flop: ($57) 4, Q, Q (4 players)
UTG checks, BRACKCHIPS checks, MP3 checks, Button bets $36, 1 fold, BRACKCHIPS calls $36, 1 fold

Turn: ($129) 2 (2 players)
BRACKCHIPS checks, Button bets $87, BRACKCHIPS calls $87

River: ($303) A (2 players)
BRACKCHIPS checks, Button bets $235, BRACKCHIPS calls $235

Total pot: $773 | Rake: $3
Results:
Button had K, 10 (one pair, Queens).
BRACKCHIPS had J, J (two pair, Queens and Jacks).
Outcome: BRACKCHIPS won $770

I made up my mind on the frop that vs the Button, I would be xc'ing many a streets for value.  The only hands that he could rep that beat me were 44, AQ, KQ, QJ.  There was really no value in betting, I would be folding out most hands that I beat - 55-TT.  The frop turn xc was pretty easy...as well as the turn, but when the river came an A, it was tough to make the call - but I closed my eyes and called it off.  Woulda been really gross if he had something to the tune of A5 that gets there on the river...but there is really no other way to play this hand given the action.  

While I decided early on in the hand to xc for value - as I mentioned earlier - the river left me with a tough decision and I pondered a fold.  Its easy to come up with a gameplan for a hand postfrop, but sticking to it can be increasingly difficult as the board texture changes and you are faced with increased pressure.  Even if your opponent sucks out and nails a 2-3 outter on you, creating a plan and sticking with it will allow you to make much better postfrop decisions.  You will find yourself trusting your gut much more and as long as you can handle the occasional beat - your game will improve significantly.  Despite how simple this game can seem on the surface - 2 hole cards, 5 community cards, 4 rounds of betting...the decision making processes involved can be very complex - and the more you can eliminate tough decisions the better.  

-BRACKCHIPS

1 comment:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

The A is so gross on the river. Nice call!