February 6, 2009

Bluffing Fail

Just so you guys don't think I'm a VAG, I also played some 25/50 this week...as in...25/50 cents ROR. I played this hand tonight that is so hilarious I have to instapost it. This might be the dumbest play I've ever seen at a NLHE table. I say "might" just because I've seen so many absurdly retarded plays and it's hard to remember them all, but this one would be hard to top (for some reason FT fawked up the HH, so I'm giving a very close approximation of the action):

.25/.50 Pot-Limit Hold 'Em
UTG ($49.90)
MP ($3.40)
bruechips (Button) ($50)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [Ks Jd]
UTG calls
MP calls
bruechips raises to $2.75 
UTG calls
MP raises to $3.40, and is all-in

*** FLOP *** [Kd Tc Td]
UTG bets $13
(Betting into dry side pot, i.e., he has to show down and win vs. the all-in MP player to win ANY money in the hand. You might think this would have to be a hand that beats KJ for that reason, but since this is low stakes pot-limit, I'm probably gonna call this down, unless the turn is pretty gross like an A. I doubt he'd ever have a T, because I think he'd try to check-raise with that, but I am worried about a better K. I don't think raising has that much value since he's never folding any primary hands and he will go broke later with a worse K. The only hands he will fold are total bluffs, which is bad, because I want to induce more betting from those hands on later streets. That can't happen if I force him to fold now.)
bruechips calls

*** TURN *** [Kd Tc Td] [2s]
UTG bets $33, and is all in
bruechips calls (Pretty much the definition of a blank turn. Time to throw up when he shows me KQ.)
UTG shows [2h 3h] (huh?)
bruechips shows [Ks Jd]

*** RIVER *** [Kd Tc Td 2s] [5h]

OK so...he limps the nut low (sooted!) UTG, and calls a raise out of position...that is horrific poker no doubt, but a level of donkery not all that uncommon on a Friday night. Then he donk bets full pot on the frop into a dry side pot, still holding the nut low, and having no draw to anything decent (or maybe he thought his hearts were diamonds?). When I call that frop, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm really strong, but given that he only has a pot-sized bet left for the turn, he's gonna need something scarier than the 2s to get a fold out of me. But the frop play is what really baffles me. Me folding has almost no value for you, donkey! You still have to show down to win any money and you have the nut row!!! Perhaps the funniest part is that the all-in player had A4, and so if I had folded at some point, UTG would in fact have taken it down with his pair of deuces, and would have looked like, and I'm sure felt, like a genius. Remember this hand next time you try to fold out a third player in an all-in pot to get a few percentage points of equity, donk!

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: