February 26, 2009

Getting Nitty with QQ out of position....

Maybe I played these hands just way too gheyly, but if I'm making mistakes here, I'm pretty sure they're not big ones. Sometimes I'd rather give up a small pot than create a big one where I have a small edge at best, but I'd welcome any comments on these hands (both these are full ring games):


Seat 2: bruechips (BB) ($158.10)
Seat 3: UTG ($9.75)
Seat 4: UTG+1 ($190.25)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [Qd Qs]
UTG calls $0.50
UTG+1 raises to $2.25
bruechips calls $1.75 (The raiser was a fairly loose and aggressive player. He was at about 21/18 in the couple hundred hands I had against him, and I thought he was playing well. Three-betting more than 300 bbs deep is pretty tough, because he's going to call almost every time and his position plus the deepness of stacks gives him a monster advantage. The UTG limper is obviously a donk, but he's also short-stacked, and the deep-stacked LAG is also in early position, so he probably has something decent. I decided to just call. I'm not quite just set-mining, but I'm trying to control pot size and get some value post-flop on the right boards.)
UTG folds

*** FLOP *** [Ah Jh 9c]
bruechips checks (NOT the board I was looking for)
UTG+1 bets $4 (At this point, I can't really continue. Sure, he could have KQ or TT or JT or a heart draw, but I doubt he's going to be just checking down turn and river if I check/call. What huge hand can I rep if I check/call this flop? And I don't think my hand is good enough call down 3 barrels, especially once a K or T or heart or J peels off on the turn or river. I could turn my hand into a bluff by check-raising, but I will get called down at least once by any A, hearts, QT, maybe even KQ or JT. So unless I want to put in another big barrel on the turn - so this play is going to end up costing me $40 or so - raising here is, as David Benefield likes to say, lighting money on fire. I really just have to fold.)  
bruechips folds

In this hand, I'm also out of position, and it's the nittiness of the villain, as well as the deepness of stacks, that makes me passive:

Seat 3: bruechips ($116.35)
Seat 6: MP ($139.85)
Seat 8: Hijack ($99.50)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bruechips [Qc Qd]
MP calls $0.50
Hijack raises to $2.25
bruechips calls $1.75 (The Hijack has a pre-flop raise percentage of 1 or 2 in a few hundred hands. That's pretty much AA and KK only. Maybe he limps AA sometimes and occasionally raises QQ or AK. Either way, there's not much value in a raise.)
MP calls $1.75

*** FLOP *** [2h Kd Jh]
bruechips checks
MP checks
Hijack bets $7 (He bets into two players. I'm behind AK. And also JJ now if he were getting "frisky" (for him) with it preflop. MP is still left to act behind me. No point in continuing.)
bruechips folds
MP folds

-BRUECHIPS

2 comments:

Shrike said...

Knowing your opponents and recognizing positional disadvantage in deep-stacked cash games are two important things to keep in mind.

Also, minizing your losses is every bit as important as maximizing your wins.

Nice post.

-PL

Memphis MOJO said...

Folding is at worst a missed opportunity. Sometimes nittiness is good.