March 6, 2009

Disecting a monster - street by street, Deep Stacked Play Part 6

I recently came across a tasty deep stacked HH that I discussed quite a bit with Bruechips...I was really trying to figure out the best way to MAX out EV with my monster.  The beauty of this game is despite there only being 3 postfrop decisions - there are always so many different lines you can take for an individual hand.  Just yesterday I found a particular line that I have used 3x in 150k hands (you can prolly figured it out if you think about it...hint, i essentially had the nuts each time).    

This hand in particular got me thinking because by myself and the villain were ~300bb deep...and while the hand played out, my main focus was stacking him, obviously no easy feat unless you both hold monsters.  

Let's check it out...

Full Tilt Poker $3/$6 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $686.00
UTG: $1206.25
UTG+1: $526.50
MP1: $1111.20
MP2: $600.00
Hero (CO): $1729.20
BTN: $2417.05
SB: $600.00

Pre Flop: ($9.00) Hero is CO with 88 of spades 88 of hearts
UTG calls $6, 3 folds, Hero raises to $24, BTN calls $24, 2 folds, UTG calls $18
(Folks - we have a donk alert...UTG limper.  Let's stuff some money in the pot while we are in position and make a standard raise with snowmen.  B calls...as does UTG.  My read at the time was that UTG is a donk and the B is a pretty tight reg.  My image at the table is definitely on the looser side as usual - althought I haven't been showing down much.  

Flop: ($81.00) 88 of diamonds AA of clubs 66 of spades (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $60, BTN calls $60, UTG folds
Make a standard C bet here, with this board texture (board is nice and dry, unlike tiffany's mom's vagina on two for tuesdays!)  given with 3 way action - I'm making a cbet somewhere in the hood of 90% of the time.  Once UTG folds out and I am left out of position vs the button...I know that I have the NUTS and that the villain is VERY likely to have a Ax type hand.  He would have 3b AA this deep for sure.  79, 57 are the only draw combinations - and despite being deep, I don't think the villain would call with these types of hands.  

Turn: ($201.00) 33 of spades (2 players)
Hero requests TIME, Hero bets $168, BTN calls $168
Clearly the 3 is literally the best card in the deck for me that doesn't improve my hand.  I really REALLY debated overbetting the turn here in order to get more money in the pot.  

River: ($537.00) KK of diamonds (2 players)
Hero requests TIME, Hero bets $477, BTN requests TIME, BTN calls $477
Clearly another big bet is in order, I still have the effective nuts...BTN tanks it HARD and finally calls it off with top 2.  

Final Pot: $1491.00
Hero shows 88 of spades 88 of hearts (three of a kind, Eights)
BTN mucks KK of spades AA of spades
Hero wins $1488.00

Where was the turning point in this hand?  It was ALL about the turn baby.  I COULD have opted for a turn XR here in an effort to setup a river shove given the stax...but as Bruechips mentioned during our discussion - this is CRIMINAL.  Two major league bad things can happen here, you can xr him off a strong hand you have him drawing dead with or the nightmare scenario...HE CHECKS behind.  If he checks behind and then put in a river bet, we play a 550 dollar pot vs the 1500 one we played.  Super ghey.

My other alternative was turn overbet.  Given his hand...I'm not sure him or anyone else would just fold there.  Granted I didn't know he backdoored the NFD...but still, how often do you see someone overbet the turn?  I'm pretty sure he peels even without the FD.  If I am able to dump like 250 in on the turn...it ends up allowing me to play a pot that is roughly 25% larger than the pot size as played.  

This guy sure is lucky he didn't 3b his AK here...surely I go minining this deep and we DEFINITELY would have played a nice lil monsterpotten.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great hand to discuss. What about a check raise on the river? Do you lose too much value vs AT - AQ and possibly A6 and A8 fearing you made 2-pair on the river?

spritpot said...

VERY good question here.

Yer right, def lose ENTIRELY too much value to AT-AQ. I don't think weaker aces are in his range, but if they are...its unlikely he will VB with them when the K comes on the river.

If I choose to check...and he x's behind (which I assume he will with a one pair type hand) - I lose ABSURD value.

If I go for a XR, its pretty likely he is going to fold depending upon the raise size. It is pretty rare to encounter xr river bluffs...especially on this type of board. Villain had a hard enough time calling down with TOP 2 (personally I would have SNAP called) so I think he gets away from a XR.

If I chose to bet...and get raised - well that's the NUTS, all my money is going in and he might not be able to get away from it with so much in the middle.

-brackchips