March 18, 2009

Thanks For Not Stacking Me, Bro! (Parts 12 and 13)

How do these donkeys ever hope to make money if they don't stack players when they cooler them? I have no idea...but I saved about 150 bbs or so in these two hands due to their slowplaying, value-minimizing ways:


Hand 1:

Hero (CO): $58.70
BTN: $32.50
SB: $11.50
BB: $10.00
UTG: $30.00
UTG+1: $122.05
MP: $12.60

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with As Ah
3 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($4.25) 2d Qc Js (2 players)
Hero bets $2.75, BTN calls $2.75 (Standard up to here...)

Turn: ($9.75) 4c (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks (I checked here because his stack size is perfect for me to check/raise him all-in to stack a KQ/KT/JcTc type hand...And to punish a float from a hand that will just fold to a second barrel like AT or 88. I was pretty disappointed when he checked behind.)

River: ($9.75) 3h (2 players)
Hero bets $6.50 (I have to bet for value here. My line looks fishy, he could easily check behind a J or 88 that would call a river bet. I can't really count on him to bluff KTo and get value that way.)
BTN raises to $14
Hero calls $7.50 (This is a pretty thin call and I timed down a while before making it. It's pretty tough for the 3 to have helped his hand, unless he floated me on the frop with A5 or 33 or something. Either he slowplayed a fropped monster, or he's bluffing with KT or T9, hoping I will lay down AK. I ended up deciding to call since I'm towards the top of my range for taking this line.)

BTN shows JcJh (OK, so he took a tricky line, and got me to call a bet on the river somewhat thin. But remember that my plan was to check/raise the turn, at which point he stacks me. Really, any time you have 60 bbs and you flop a set vs. an overpair, especially on a non-gross board like this, and you DON'T get all the money in, you have to be pretty disappointed.)

But even that wasn't as bad as this:

MP: $57.95
CO: $56.75
BTN: $95.55
SB: $46.30
Hero (BB): $99.75
UTG: $58.20
UTG+1: $123.65

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 2d 2c
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $1.50, 4 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) Ad Jc 2s (2 players)
Hero checks
UTG+1 bets $1.50
Hero raises to $5 (Standard set-mining pre-flop, check-raising to build a pot and hope to get max value from AK-AJ. With the A and J on board, I'm definitely aware of the potential for a set-over-set situation, particularly given the size of his c-bet, but I'm not folding any time soon. AK-AJ make up 33 combos, whereas AA and JJ make up only 6 combos, so even if he only stacks off with AK-AJ 1/5 of the time, I'm still ahead of his range.)
UTG+1 calls $3.50

Turn: ($13.25) 6c (2 players)
Hero bets $8.75, UTG+1 calls $8.75 (Looks like I am indeed taking him to value town)

River: ($30.75) Kc (2 players)
Hero bets $26, UTG+1 calls $26 (Good river card for me b/c AK now makes two pair as well. If he shoved I wouldn't feel great about it because of AA/JJ/Acxc potential. I'm actually not sure what I would have done, but I think I'd probably call vs. this random NL50 donk. When he just calls, I thought for sure he had an A and the pot would be coming my way.)

Final Pot: $82.75
Hero shows 2d 2c (three of a kind, Twos)
UTG+1 shows Jd Jh (three of a kind, Jacks)

Uhhh...wow! Thanks for not stacking me, bro! 200 bbs deep, you frop set-over-set and you only win 80 bbs??? I don't know if he's afraid of AA or what, but that is just terrible value minimization right there.
-BRUECHIPS
P.S. - Some funny stuff I've seen recently: Sucko showed me this, and I saw this on BustedJJ's brog...

1 comment:

noldmax said...

It's hard to capture the satisfaction of saving $ in a cooler situation, since you're simultaneously confronted with a decent $ loss. But money not lost is money earned in my book.

What's extra nice about these types is that you can almost be sure that they were both ROR and patting themselves on the back, the 1st guy for trapping you and getting you to pay off a raise on the river (and what a sadsack raise it was while we're on the topic), and the second guy for cautiously calling and avoiding getting stacked by your well-disguised backdoor crub frush!