May 30, 2008

Art of the Min Raise (Part 8)

In addition to the donk method of playing a big pocket pair that has been well detailed in this space, I am now beginning to see more and more the donk method of playing AK. Just as with the donk method of playing a big pocket pair, this involves min re-raising preflop and then going broke when you're outflopped. However, it almost always involves check-calling or betting small, rather than betting huge as with the donk method of playing the big pairs. Here's an example:

UTG ($80)
HERO (CO-1) ($424.90)
UTG posts $2 (First thing to note - guy buys in for $80 and posts UTG...I'm salivating)

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to HERO [Ac Jc]
UTG checks, folds to me...
HERO raises to $10 (As if I would need any extra encouragement to raise this donk's post, it's folded to me and I have AJs...no brainer raise)
folded back around to UTG....
UTG raises to $18 (Donk method alert! Could he have a big pp? Yes...but given that I have an A, it's more likely KK than AA...plus I have position and he's a moron. Still, it he had bought in for $40 rather than $80, I'd fold)
HERO calls $8

*** FLOP *** [Jh 3c 4d]

UTG checks (If he had made a big bet here, I'd have kind of a tough decision, since his play would be consistent with the donk method of AA-KK. But since he checks, it's gotta be the donk method of AK. I want to bet a small amount, so that he won't be able to resist, but enough so that I can get his stack in on the turn with a bet that again seems very small relative to the pot)
HERO bets $20
UTG calls $20 (When he just calls, I'm almost positive he has AK)

*** TURN *** [Jh 3c 4d] [8c]

UTG checks
HERO bets $42 (Great turn card, giving me more outs in case he does have AA-KK. I can now put him all-in with a bet that's only about half-pot)
UTG calls $42, and is all in
HERO shows [Ac Jc]
UTG shows [As Ks]

*** RIVER *** [Jh 3c 4d 8c] [6s]

Ship it over this way!!!

-BRUECHIPS

No comments: